Heal my heart and make it clean
Open up my eyes to the things unseen
Show me how to love like You have loved me
Break my heart for what breaks Yours
Everything I am for Your kingdom's cause
As I walk from earth into eternity

Friday, October 13, 2017

Cowboy Up, Buttercup!

Read something during one of our long drives (we are now in Northern, ID from Southern, UT) that talked about living in the now rather than getting caught up in the past or the future. It almost made the point that we get enslaved to the dreams, goals, ideals, etc. of the future. I, for one, am guilty as charged. In itself, it doesn’t seem that bad. It’s good to have dreams, goals, and things to look forward to. Unfortunately, what is often missed in the process is whatever it is in front of us today. Kristine likes to call it my “Go Mode.” I like to accomplish my tasks and goals and can often overlook what’s right in front of me in the moment. Soooo we had an opportunity presented to us in Western, MT. One lone cowboy. A gallon sized hat. A couple spiffy boots. A gray beard. And a thumb. But we have a schedule! It’s not safe! What if… What if… What if…!
What if this man was the very thing presented to us for that day? Sure, we had our own plans for the day and had to call an audible to make some changes. However, we got to help someone other than ourselves. A hardworking man who served our country for over 20 years, including 2 tours in Vietnam. A man who has had a rough go at things lately and no longer had a way to get home to Barstow, CA. A broken man who had been stripped of all he had (including money, truck, and wife), kicked to the streets, and been denied help by “the church.” A man, who by the time we were dropping him off at a train station in Idaho bound for Bakersfield, was confessing to thoughts of suicide for the first time in his life right before we pulled over to face what was in front of us in the moment for that day. Sure glad I’m not the one in charge of this whole thing we call life. There is a peace to knowing that if I just walk with eyes open today, someone bigger than myself will show me what he has for me and how, really, it’s not about me. It’s about considering others better than myself and seeing people the way God sees them… with love, compassion, and grace. Man, that’s a tall order. Near impossible. But with Christ all things are possible.
What’s in front of you today?

 
Zion National Park, UT > Bryce Canyon National Park UT > Payson, UT >  Butte, MT > Missoula, MT > Sandpoint, ID
Headed from Zion to Bryce Canyon
BBRRRYCE CANYON! Pictures do not do this place justice... If you haven't been, make the trek!

These start with a dime size hole in a rock. Bryce Canyon experiences 200+ freeze/thaw cycles each year which continually changes the landscape. Learn somethin' new everyday.

Had some amazing drives from Southern Utah to Northern Idaho complete with pastures, rivers, fall colors, mountains, snow, and small towns.

No comments:

Post a Comment